Sunday 7 January 2018

8 Quick and Easy Meditation Techniques to Calm Your Anxious Mind

a post by Lori Deschene for the Tiny Buddha blog



Have you ever found it hard to motivate yourself to do something that was good for you, only to eventually do it, feel amazing, and wonder why you waited so long?

That’s what meditating was like for me. Even though I knew I could do it for only five minutes each day to feel calmer, less stressed, and more present, I found excuses not to do it regularly for years.

I’d tell myself five minutes wasn’t enough; I really needed thirty or more, and I didn’t have that time, so why bother?

I’d lament that I was too anxious to sit still (ironic, considering that I knew meditating could calm my anxiety).

I’d complain that my environment was too distracting (irony yet again, since meditation ultimately helps us focus and better deal with distractions).

And then there was my most commonly used excuse: “It just doesn’t work for me.”

Of course it didn’t “work.” I wasn’t meditating with any consistency. And when I did, I got impatient with my own busy brain, like watching the proverbial pot that wouldn’t boil, instead of simply easing into the experience.

Continue reading

It will never work for me if I have to sit like that. Replaced hip joints simply do not like being used in that way. However, sitting up straight in a high-backed chair (not lounging on the sofa), with feet firmly on the floor is good. Also good is lying flat on your back with knees bent bringing your spine into contact with the floor/mattress.


No comments: