Sunday 10 December 2017

We Need Computers with Empathy

A View from Rana el Kaliouby published in MIT Technology Review

I was rehearsing a speech for an AI conference recently when I happened to mention Amazon Alexa. At which point Alexa woke up and announced: “Playing Selena Gomez.” I had to yell “Alexa, stop!” a few times before she even heard me.

But Alexa was oblivious to my annoyance. Like the majority of virtual assistants and other technology out there, she’s clueless about what we’re feeling.

We’re now surrounded by hyper-connected smart devices that are autonomous, conversational, and relational, but they’re completely devoid of any ability to tell how annoyed or happy or depressed we are. And that’s a problem.

Continue reading

I am not sure that I want a computer or other intelligent non-sentient thing to assess my moods. When I descend into the pit of depression as happens to me from time to time I have worked out my own time-honoured ways of getting back out – given time and a lot of support.
Nannying I do not need.

And as for knowing when I am angry… there’s no knowing what sort of things I might say on social media!



No comments: