Monday 4 December 2017

How I Found Joy Again After Depression

a post by Therese J. Borchard for the World of Psychology blog



“Joy does not simply happen to us,” wrote spiritual author Henri Nouwen. “We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.”

I find choosing joy and trying to experience joy to be among the most difficult tasks when you are depressed. And yet it is critical to try to reconnect with those persons, places, and things that were once able to give us enjoyment.

I am fortunate to be working with a doctor who has known me for more than 10 years. When I fall into a depressive episode, her solutions are much more comprehensive than just a medication adjustment or a suggestion for a cognitive-behavioral technique.

This last week, her instructions, written out on her medical pad, included:
  1. Exercise, but not too hard
  2. Time in nature – enjoy the flowers
  3. Light reading only, NO self-help
  4. Find ways to experience pleasure – old TV series, favorite albums, etc.
  5. No work this week
I took the assignment seriously, and it was much more challenging than I thought it would be. How hard can it be to find joy in your life? Yet when your amygdala (fear center of the brain) is under attack by a flood of chemicals and hormones, and a sense of panic permeates most of your hours, letting loose and soaking in the breeze requires a surprising commitment and perseverance.

Continue reading

Given that just at this moment I am not feeling pressured by the fear centre of my brain how would I cope with that list.
  1. Exercise – something I do rarely so not pushing myself is easy (too easy?)
  2. Time in nature – flowers at this time of year?
  3. Light reading only, NO self-help – easy peasy.  I had quite enough of well-meant advice about how to run a company (when I did so).
  4. Find ways to experience pleasure – colouring, decopatch, knitting are my go-to activities when I am feeling low
  5. No work this week Is what I am doing at the moment “work”?
    In a way I suppose it is but I am enjoying what I am doing. Is that joy?
How would you respond to Therese’s list?
Comments welcome.



No comments: