Tuesday 5 December 2017

3 Tools That Can Help You Calm Your Mind and Let Go of Anxiety

a post by Joanna Ciolek for the Tiny Buddha blog


“I vow to let go of all worries and anxiety in order to be light and free.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh 
NOTE: You do not have to adopt that to me impossible position in order to work through your anxiety issues. Honestly you don’t. H

I've struggled with anxiety throughout my life. A difficult childhood and my highly sensitive personality meant I grew into an anxious kid—there was just too much pain and emotional overwhelm for my young brain to handle.

My anxiety most often manifested as perfectionism and people pleasing, so from the outside everything seemed great. I excelled in school and I was a good kid who did as she was told. But there was a war inside me.

I felt broken, unable to navigate these huge feelings of fear and uncertainty on my own. Full of negativity and self-criticism, I felt like an outsider, misunderstood by the world, scared and alone.

Over the years, as I stuffed down these feelings of inadequacy and isolation, I internalized the belief that somehow I was not good enough, that there was something inherently wrong with me.

Afraid of being found out, ridiculed, and humiliated, I became invisible. I masked my fears, shame, and feeling rejected with arrogance. I became rigid and controlling. I was super hard on myself. I felt restless, angry, and defective even more.

In denial about all of this until my late thirties, my children finally cracked me open.

Continue reading


No comments: