Saturday 9 September 2017

Challenging assumptions about how music helps

a blog post by Laurel Young for Oxford University Press


music sheets by Patrick Pilz. CC0 Public Domain viaUnsplash

Times are changing. When I first became a music therapist more than 22 years ago, most of the general public had never even heard of my profession. When people asked me what I did for a living, some were curious and wanted to know more, while others looked at me as if I were selling snake oil. Nowadays, these conversations are slightly different. Although it is still not always well understood as a profession, more people are familiar with the term “music therapy” and open to the idea that music and other creative mediums may be used to promote health and well-being. Overall, I believe this is a positive development, especially if it means that more people, in all types of circumstances, can access and engage in quality music experiences that will help them to reach their full potential for living well.

Continue reading

I have never experienced formal music therapy but I am always aware of the benefits of different types of music. In fact I am listening to Rachmaninoff (Piano Concerto No 2) as I write this post. One of the most soothing pieces I know.


No comments: