Tuesday 21 August 2012

The decline of British trade unionism: markets, actors and institutions

an article by John Kelly (Birkbeck College, London, UK) published in Industrial Relations Journal Volume 43 Issue 4 (July 2012)

Abstract

This paper first describes the evolution of Willy Brown’s thinking on trade union membership and collective bargaining coverage.

The second part explores some of the issues around his growing conviction about the role of product markets and offers some critical reflections about his analysis of product markets by drawing on comparative evidence.

The final section turns to his analyses and prescriptions for trade union strategy.

Hazel’s comment:
Not having access to the full article is not often a disadvantage is providing an abstract to my faithful readers – most of you know how to find “the full thing” if necessary or will ask through the comments about access to the journal.
However, I suspect that many of you, like me, will be thinking “Willy who?”. I tried a search and I think I may have found the right man – a professor at Cambridge University.
Perhaps someone could inform me if I’ve got it wrong!



No comments: