Tuesday 22 May 2012

Defining Democracy

via Big Think by Eric Sanders

Last week I asked readers to answer this single question: “What is democracy?”

I asked this question – without consulting a dictionary or political science textbook &– because I am not sure of the answer myself, even though I have heard the word uttered thousands of times in my life. Has the word “democracy” become such a catch-all term that it now lacks any meaning whatsoever? Or has it never possessed a clear, generally-agreed-upon definition, instead allowing for each person or group to definite it however they see fit?

Read More

Hazel’s comment:
Fans of my weekend trivia posts will recognise the source of this since I use links to Big Think extensively among the selected ten for publication. However, the subject of this was, I felt, sufficiently interesting as to warrant a post of its own.


No comments: