Thursday 4 September 2008

Literacy is the best remedy

It is enough to have finished primary school to multiply by five one’s chances of being informed about HIV and AIDS. As for malaria, which takes a million lives annually, it is particularly deadly among illiterate populations. Literacy and good health are inseparable. This is the theme of International Literacy Day (8 September) and the 2008 UNESCO International Literacy Prizes, on which our latest issue focuses. The introduction is written by Henning Mankell, well-known Swedish author and AIDS activist.

More

Hazel's comment:
A bit off-topic but I thought that we ought to be aware of International Literacy Day which I admit I had not heard of until I read the UNESCO Courier just now (was about to write "this morning" when I realised that morning it is NOT but I haven't had lunch yet so it still feels like it).




No comments: