Friday 12 September 2008

Librarything, Abebooks, Amazon, Shelfari

via infodoodads by Sam on 2 September


Over at TechCrunch, an article points out that Amazon has just purchased Abebooks and Shelfari, which might be problematic for LibraryThing in the near future, because Abebooks owns 40% of Librarything, and Shelfari is a LibraryThing competitor.

This of course has got me thinking about the whole book-centric social networking scene, and wondering where it all might be headed in the near future as giant corporations try to monetize blah blah blah.

Read the full article

Hazel's comment:
Do you have a
LibraryThing account? I do and, whilst I don't make as much use of it as a social network as I could, I'd be very unhappy if it ceased to exist.
Actually I have two accounts. One is my personal library of which consists of fiction, cookery, craft and Christian study. The other, for the purposes of this blog, is the more important since it is ADSET's library. However, finding the time to enter and catalogue all of the reports that I have, first checking that said reports are not available elsewhere, is not as easy as I thought it was going to be.
I will, I promise!
But if when I do I do not want to find that Amazon is picking up on what I already have and saying "more like this? Amazon recommends ..." That, my friends, is a sure way to lose money – fast!

No comments: