Wednesday 18 June 2008

Crawley tenants get "poor" service with "uncertain prospects"

via Audit Commission on 4 June

Crawley Council is providing a poor housing management service. Its approach to maintaining homes is weak and less than half of homes meet the Decent Homes Standard. Access to housing services is underdeveloped and residents have not been effectively engaged in developing the service.

Hazel's comment:
Why do I bother with these reports? Because in my experience as an Employment Adviser I found, as I am certain that careers advisers do, that when someone is living in poor conditions their minds are not wholly on the task of finding work or training. If this review of Crawley Council had merely said that the management of the housing service was poor then I probably wouldn't bother but the extract goes on to say "less than half the homes meet the Decent Homes Standard" and that, if my memory serves me right, is adequate rather than five-star.

No comments: