Wednesday 1 August 2012

Normal service will resume tomorrow

I will provide reasons not excuses.

First, I failed miserably to get through to someone at HM Revenue and Customs yesterday to renew my Tax Credits claim over the phone. I know, I should have done it sooner but I didn’t have all the figures to hand and thought it would be easier than it turned out to work out an estimate of self-employed earnings for the year to 5 April when my accounting period ends on 31 July. I finally got through this morning and it's all sorted – I hope.

Second, I developed an inflamed wrist and hand yesterday and by this morning I couldn't grip anything with my left hand at all and it was very uncomfortable. Got an appointment to see a GP who took one look and said, "Blood tests, X-ray, hospital. I think it's rheumatoid arthritis but I need to be sure."
Got home in time for a late lunch after waiting for buses and thought I'd catch up on what I would have been doing this morning.

Third, combination of pain-relief, anti-inflammatory drugs and anti-depressants must have told my system that enough was enough. The “little nap” turned into a three-hour sleep.

And it will, of course, not be “normal service” tomorrow since Thursdays are my days for spending time in the British Library looking at those journals that do not publish abstracts online, and at articles that I need/want to read in full. And I would, by now be on my way to spending a night with my daughter, her husband and the grand-children!


No comments: