Wednesday 4 May 2011

Never be the same again –

forthcoming changes in tax credits

an article in Adviser: a guide to benefits, housing, employment, consumer and money advice (Number 144 March/April 2011).

Just for once it was not the late arrival of a publication at the British Library which makes it seem as though I’m working well behind the news. I am, but it was not the fault of anyone but myself. I read this informative article by Will Hadwen (freelance welfare rights consultant) last month, and again today and I have to admit that I am little clearer about the changes than I was.

However, Hadwen’s ultimate paragraph seems to sum up the situation rather neatly:
    Advisers may also note that in the run-up to Universal Credit, tax credits will not only be available to fewer claimants, with less help for those who work (whether childless or not), but they will also be even more complex than before. Advisers will need to tread yet more carefully through the tax credit maze in its few remaining years.
A minefield to be negotiated by the expert very carefully. What hope has the rank amateur?


No comments: