Saturday 17 May 2008

Dear Virgin Media: if Net Neutrality is "bollocks" then you can get stuffed

via Boing Boing by Cory Doctorow on 7 May

Last month, Neil Berkett (the new CEO of Virgin Media, one of my ISPs in London) announced that Network Neutrality was "bollocks" and that Internet services would have to pay for premium connections or be relegated to the "Internet bus-lane." In other words, rather than giving me the sites I asked for as fast as they could, Virgin would henceforth deliver the sites that paid bribes faster than other sites (Virgin tried to spin this by saying that the sites that paid would get priority traffic -- but how do you prioritise one service's packets without de-prioritising other sites' packets?).
I said then that I would resign my Virgin account over this, and now that I'm back in London, I've been able to look up my account number and send off the following letter (they have 28 days to respond, and I'll post their reply here too).
Read the full article including the letter that Cory sent and then scroll through the comments -- some of them are really to the point. For example, "Isn't Virgin Media just Telewest by another name?" Yes, of course it is -- and it's NTL by another name and the service from that company wasn't fantastic!

No comments: