Sunday 6 April 2008

Resist redesign

via Column Two on 25 March

Gerry McGovern has written an article on resisting redesigns. To quote:
Your website is working. But it's four years old. What should you do? Leave it alone. Or focus on making it work even better. But let me tell you this, making it work better has rarely anything to do with its graphical design.

Hazel's comment:
Think of all those beautifully designed "look-lovely" websites that are a pain in the butt to actually use and you will realise why it is so important to get the functionality right before worrying about design. Sure, a website needs some design or it will simply be a mess but PLEASE work out what you want to say before looking at whether a) should be in green and b) in blue.
PS This is definitely a case of me in my glasshouse throwing stones -- at no-one in particular since I wouldn't want anyone to come back at me and say "but your website in a dreadful mess". Yeah, but ...
I haven't really got an excuse.

No comments: