Sunday 18 November 2007

10 interesting things I've read since 10 November

There I was, sitting in my office, when I saw something I thought might interest you -- share it! Just press two keys and it's done. OH NO -- that's not the way it should be from now on. I said only yesterday that I would put the interesting stuff into a weekly post called, interestingly enough, "Interesting stuff I've read this week". That means that I do not, definitely DO NOT, simply click on the "share it " button. I copy and paste with proper links and a commentary if required.

  1. Write a Brilliant Pantomime With Billy & Wolfy from Librarians' Internet Index: New This Week A lighthearted description (with "comments" from William Shakespeare and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) of "how to write [English] pantomime scripts covering, basic rules, choosing the story, shaping the pantomime, shaping individual scenes, use of music, and writing and producing for children." Also includes an overview of this form of "Christmas entertainment based on a fairy tale," and three scripts. From a pantomime script author.
  2. The Cult of Non-Judgmentalism: a book review by Rebecca Bynum from Arts & Letters Daily
    "I know that I am prejudiced on this matter," Mark Twain wrote, "but I would be ashamed of myself if I were not."
    Prejudice has its uses. In Praise of Prejudice: The Necessity of Preconceived Ideas by Theodore Dalrymple (Brief Encounters Press 129 pp. $20.00 US) I'm not sure that I'd ever read the whole book -- probably a bit "heavy" for me -- but the review really made me think hard about where society is going, and has gone.
  3. Re-reading Albert Hirschman from Dani Rodrik's weblog by Dani Rodrik
    Dani tells us that he has been "spending some time with the great man's writings" in preparation for a lecture in his honour. I had to go and look up this "great man" in Wikipedia to discover that he's a German-born American economist who is now 92 years old.
    Post-lecture UPDATE here
  4. 101 gadgets that changed the world from Popgadget via CrunchGear
    Did you know that Velcro was invented by Swiss inventor George de Mestral after he became disgusted with removing cocklebur seeds from his jacket and decided to investigate the reason for its stickiness? Or that the first digital camera was invented way back in 1965 by Kodak engineer Steve Sasson and it resembled a toaster?
  5. Remembrance in Second Life from Intute Blog by Alun Edwards who attended at the Cenotaph on Second Life, built by the Royal British Legion on that virtual world.
  6. Mondegreen from Coffee Klatch by pfitz
    According to Wikipedia, “a mondegreen is the mishearing (usually accidental) of a phrase as a homophone or near-homophone in such a way that it acquires a new meaning.”
  7. Sunday Poem from 3quarksdaily by Abbas Raza Via NoUtopia
    Social Security by Terrence Winch
    This made me weep it's so beautiful and so sad.
  8. Emergency Times from Intute Social Sciences Politics Gateway
    A well known independent blog created by students and political activists to provide grassroots coverage of the state of emergency and political crisis in Pakistan in 2007. It includes blog postings, photographic images and video clips of student protests against the military rule of General Musharraf and discussion of the position of Benazir Bhutto. It also seeks to reveal human rights abuses and the suppression of the press from the perspective of local citizens.
  9. Video: "Lawn Mower" Dinosaur Debuts from National Geographic
    Lawn mower to the ferns of Africa, the 500-toothed Nigersaurus was unlike any other. A reconstruction is on display at National Geographic in Washington.
  10. More notes from the Konstanz conference from Information Literacy by Sheila Webber
    This is another post about the Konstanz (Germany) Workshop on Information Literacy (KWIL), which ran 8-9 November. KWIL was focusing in particular on information literacy for higher degree students (Masters or Doctoral) and the website is at http://www.ub.uni-konstanz.de/bibliothek/projekte/informationskompetenz/kwil.html

No comments: